The Bloomington Community Band, a 501(c)3 charitable organization, is an all-adult volunteer concert band with active membership typically ranging from 50 to 60 in number, and 18 to 85 years in age. The band plays 15 to 20 concerts per year in and around Monroe County at civic events, public gatherings, retirement homes and state parks. In recent years, the BCB has participated in community band festivals in Terre Haute and Greenwood, Indiana. A typical concert will consist of marches, popular tunes, concert band and light classical pieces, with holiday music presented at several December concerts.
Hundreds of musicians have enjoyed playing with the Bloomington Community Band over the years. Membership in the Bloomington Community Band is open to all adults who play a band instrument. There are no auditions required for participation. While there are a few seasoned professionals in the band, most members are dedicated amateurs. Members range from recent graduates looking to keep up their chops to folks who once played in high school and have picked up their instruments for the first time in decades.
In 2010, the BCB received two major awards in recognition of its contributions to the community: Downtown Bloomington Inc.’s Cassady Electric Volunteer of the Year Award and the Bloomington Volunteer Network’s Be More Award for Arts and Cultural Organizations. The band is a member of the Association of Concert Bands.
- For easy access to all items of historical interest, view …Read More »
- PREAMBLE The Constitution states the basic purposes of the organization …Read More »
- Distinguished Service Award Presented to Gary Wiggins in recognition of …Read More »
- (incomplete) Music Directors and Associate Music Directors (changed from Conductor, …Read More »
- A Acosta, Althea Clarinet 2008 Adams, Dale Trombone 2007 Adams, …Read More »