BLOOMINGTON COMMUNITY BAND
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
JULY 16, 2018, called to order at 9:12 pm
In attendance: Tim Bitzer, Doug Davis, Phyllis Solnzeff, Andrew Felt, Richard VanArsdel, Lloyd Orr, Joe Car, Ron Hardesty, Anita Elsey, Bob Appelman, Dominic Thompson, Nancy Wells
The minutes from the May 31 Board Meeting were approved. There was no Board meeting in June.
- Treasurer’s Report
Lloyd reviewed the final report for FY 2018. We ended the FY with a surplus of over $2,793, which was more than expected because the bill for brochure printing was not paid until after July 1. A surplus of 2 cents is unaccounted for, and there being no volunteers investigate this glaring error, the Board decided to put it down to fate. The end of FY report is filed and Lloyd was thanked for his fiscal and fiduciary fineness.
- Appointment of Temporary Secretary
Because of Julie Kraft’s move to Germany, the Board is required to appoint a scribe until a new secretary is selected for CY 2019. Doug Davis has volunteered and with the approbation of all Board members was unanimously selected to complete her term, as he beamed with excitement. (Lloyd Orr motion)
- Library Intern
Because of the apparent lack of coordination and consistency in this position, and a need to clarify the role, a committee was appointed to prepare an oral report to the Board at the August meeting to determine its future. Richard VanArsdel (Chair), Kyle Hetrick, Doug Davis, Gary Wiggins. It was noted that this is a commitment to IU in perpetuity, a word not often used, but deftly put forth by our acting Chair, Tim Bitzer.
To tuck, or untuck, that is the question for men’s shirts. Opinions were offered by each person present, but no decision was made. The can was kicked down the road to revisit the topic before next year, with the possible compromise of allowing only those who cannot tuck for physiological (and not psychological) reasons to go untucked. No change will be made for the duration of this year’s concert season.
- Budget for FY 2019
Lloyd purposely and properly proposed the budget for FY 2019, including previous comments about the brochure printing and increase in the equipment amount for band shirts. For the benefit of new members and visitors, he explained our involvement in the Bloomington and Monroe County Community Foundation and our Vanguard investment Fund. He commented that there is some unhappiness because the Endowment financial costs are high and the 4 ¼% payout is low. He may, in concert with others dissatisfied participants, discuss this matter with them.
Affiliated Groups (Heritage Hall Ramblers, etc.) will in the future be required to submit budget requests for the fiscal year.
We need to order more loaner shirts and Doug will arrange this. A suggestion was made that we consult with Kroger’s and Best Buy before changing colors in the future to make sure they don’t use our shirt color. The Board decided to add $250 to next year’s equipment budget to pay for additional loaner shirts.
The Fiscal Year 2019 budget was approved (Bob Appelman, Phyllis Solnzeff).
We need to order more loaner shirts and Doug will arrange this. A suggestion was made that we consult with Kroger’s and Best Buy before changing colors in the future to make sure they don’t use our shirt color. The Board decided to add $1,250 to next year’s equipment budget to pay for additional loaner shirts.
- Fall Schedule
With no regularly-scheduled concerts in October or November, the Board opined that we should explore an additional concert, especially since this is our 40th anniversary of our re-forming. A committee of Tim, Doug, and Lloyd will explore.
- Rehearsal Conditions
Other than poor lighting, poor acoustics, no storage, and poor air conditioning, Heritage Hall is a satisfactory rehearsal venue. We discussed possible alternative venues as we oft have done before, but decided instead to discuss with church authorities to see if they would address the air conditioning before we actively explore alternatives. Ron suggested that his church may have a space for us at least a year from now when a new community center will be built. Stay tuned.
Additional New Business
- Combining Publicity and Development Officer Board positions
At the suggestion of previous Development Officer Doug Davis, and with the concurrence of Board Chair Jerry Jerome, this issue should be explored. Lloyd, Doug, and Andrew will meet to have recommendations for the next Board meeting. However, no change is suggested until the next election cycle when both positions will be chosen.
- Andrew advised that he will be developing a Face book group to accompany our Face book page.
- Social gathering (last Monday of the month rehearsals)
Phyllis suggested we make it clear that the section sponsoring the gathering be sure to take home the trash instead of relying on St. Thomas staff to clean up after us. This will be announced in rehearsal.
Meeting adjourned at 10:18 pm
Doug Davis, Secretary